GOT ID TEXAS?
Voting is our right, and we want to make sure you have what you need to vote.
What You Need
In order to vote in Texas, you will need to bring ONE (1) of the following documents to your polling place:
- TX Driver’s License issued by DPS
- TX Personal ID card issued by DPS
- TX concealed handgun license issued by DPS
- US military ID card showing your photo
- US citizenship certiﬁcate showing your photo
- US passport book or card
- Election ID Certiﬁcate (EIC) issued by DPS
A few important things to remember:
- Your documents must have an expiration date no more than 60 days before the day you vote. There’s an exception for citizenship certificates.
- People with disabilities can apply for a permanent exemption to this requirement. To apply, contact your county voter registration office.
- Your name on your ID must match your name - or be "substantially similar" - on the registered voters list. If your name is different you will have to initial a box at your polling location. Check if your name matches by clicking here.
Still not sure you have what you need? Fill out this form and we will tell you if you have what you need to vote.
How To Get It
Don't have a valid form of ID listed above? That’s ok, you can get a free ID at DPS! Go to a Department of Public Safety office and tell them “I want a FREE Election ID Certificate.” You must bring with you:
AND any Two (2) of the following:
- Social Security card
- Voter registration card
- School records
- Medicare or Medicaid card
- ID card issued by a government agency
- Unexpired insurance policy
- Expired Texas ID
Click here for the full list.
Once you have confirmed or obtained the proper photo ID, you are almost ready to vote.